Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

There'd only be about 600 blokes in the history of the game who spent the majority of their debut on the bench.

Reactions: 1 users
happens at the other clubs too.
Probably some sports science behind it. Most cubs when debuting spend all week spewing up and not sleeping. If they play an entire match they are on exhaust fumes.
So the smart play is to give them a short burst when the game has slowed.
Sometimes it works. Sometimes its life.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe best if we blame Meehan.
That way we can keep the dumb ox with no EQ as coach for next year

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
happens at the other clubs too.
Probably some sports science behind it. Most cubs when debuting spend all week spewing up and not sleeping. If they play an entire match they are on exhaust fumes.
So the smart play is to give them a short burst when the game has slowed.
Sometimes it works. Sometimes its life.
it seems to be the norm these days to debut players as SUB so I'm guessing there must be method to the madness as you say.

Great effort tonight from the players, but it was diminished by the poor treatment of Caleb. I felt the exactly the same way when Kane was played as his first game as the sub. It is not as if we are playing in a prelim - poor form Richmond.

There'd only be about 600 blokes in the history of the game who spent the majority of their debut on the bench.
Yeah but 400 of them wouldn’t have waited until the last 17 minutes to come on.

It was a totally *smile* way to give him his debut.

Yeah but 400 of them wouldn’t have waited until the last 17 minutes to come on.

It was a totally *smile* way to give him his debut.
You'd remember the days of the 19th man, Reds. Sometimes they didn't get on at all.

Darryl Freame didn't get on the ground in the 1980 grand final until the 25-minute mark of the final quarter.

It's about the team, not the individual.

You'd remember the days of the 19th man, Reds. Sometimes they didn't get on at all.

Darryl Freame didn't get on the ground in the 1980 grand final until the 25-minute mark of the final quarter.

It's about the team, not the individual.
Only you’re old enough to remember those sorts of things Methuselah.

It was a *smile* way to manage Kaleb.

We could have put him on the bench, given him a run from there and that way he would have been able to get in front of the ball when we were travelling well.

Instead, we subbed him on with 17 minutes to go when Geelong were running all over the top of us. He had to pick up Close who was going crazy with all the ball they were winning. That’s a *smile* position to put a young kid on debut in.

Bad management from Yze for mine.

The club will not admit to it, but you won't see a debut player playing sub again.

If they do want to persist with it, please don't put us through the phone call with the family.

The club will not admit to it, but you won't see a debut player playing sub again.

If they do want to persist with it, please don't put us through the phone call with the family.
They'll do it again. Did the same for Mcauliffe too.
Dont think the club or the players will think much of it. Plentt more games for Kaleb to impact