2009 - Preseason Preview - 11th of 16 - Port Adelaide | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2009 - Preseason Preview - 11th of 16 - Port Adelaide

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I'm still not sure whether Port's 2008 was merely a charade contrived to pick up an elite player. Whether it was, or not, they succeeded in picking up the brilliant Hamish Hartlett, whom I see as a cross between Craig Bradley & Kevin Bartlett.

Williams has stuck to his ageless structure - a few talls down the corridor, a few ruckmen, and heaps of fast running outsiders. This is what he started with in the late '90s and won a premiership with about 7 years later.

Their positional depth is as follows:
B Surjan (23,180,66,11) Pettigrew (24,193,76,25) Chaplin (23,196,61,7)
Farmer (20,180,3,0) Carlile (21,192,32,0) Thurstans (28,196,99,55)
Banner (18,179,0,0) Martin# (19,191,0,0) Trengove (18,197,0,0)
HB Lower (21,189,15,0) C.Cornes (29,192,198,154) P.Burgoyne (31,183,225,189)
Broadbent (18,189,0,0) Logan (23,183,39,9)
Laurie# (18,184,0,0)
C P.Stewart (21,191,11,1) D.Cassisi (26,184,128,54) K.Cornes (26,183,162,69)
Salopek (23,184,78,40) Hartlett (18,184,0,0) Pearce (22,179,71,42)
Davenport (23,185,0,0)
HF D.Motlop (27,185,97,160) Gray (20,184,15,22)
Dawson (18,186,0,0) N.Krakouer (20,182,14,5)
Meyer# (22,183,17,7)
F J.Westhoff (22,198,37,56) Tredrea (30,194,227,488) Ebert (25,179,98,148)
M.Westhoff (20,199,3,3) Salter (21,191,2,3) M.Motlop (18,179,2,1)
D.Stewart# (20,199,0,0) Thompson# (20,176,0,0)
R Brogan (30,200,122,38) S.Burgoyne (26,185,148,167) Carr (28,179,188,104)
Lade (32,199,212,166) Boak (20,183,31,13) Rodan (25,172,112,93)
Lobbe (20,199,0,0) Thomas (22,184,17,4)
Giles (21,199,0,0)
Redden (18,202,0,0)
Clearly they appear not to have found a replacement for their Tredrea. They experiment with "chaderaks" (beanstalks) in key positions, and forget that highly mobile & strong overhead players in Tredrea & Cornes were vital.
But they do have heaps of ruckmen & runners.

The draw, at a glance gives them enough wins to make the finals, just on home ground advantage plus meeting a few ordinary teams.

Port to improve.
How much?
How much of a charade was last year?

Was William's contract extended or does it expire this year? I know the opinion of some highly involved Port people is that his attitude, coaching and tactics aren't conducive to a harmonious and successful team and club.

Memo Port: Extend Williams' contract now
DAVID WILBY
28/02/2009 4:00:00 AM

http://www.independentweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/memo-port-extend-williams-contract-now/1446285.aspx?storypage=0

The contract for Port coach Mark Williams expires at the end of 2009, and the Port hierarchy has maintained all along it will sit down with him and discuss the options for 2010 and beyond, which seems fair and reasonable.

So why the hurry to re-sign a man who is currently in his 11th year at the helm? Quite simple. To stop the scuttlebutt doing the rounds that Williams will not be offered a new contract regardless of results, and Hawthorn assistant, and former Power player, Damien Hardwick, will be the next coach of the Power.

I don’t believe that to be the case for one moment, but there are many respected football people in this town who genuinely believe Williams is a “dead duck”. They say it’s not purely about results, but more about moving the club in a new direction and hoping to attract a broader fan base.

The Power, despite its terrific on-field results, has found it difficult to find the new breed of supporter, one who has never barracked for the Magpies in the SANFL and simply wants to support the Power in the AFL. This has made it tough for the men from Alberton, particularly when cross-town rivals, the Crows, are seen to be the team for all South Australians.

Sure, Mark Williams through his famous football family has close ties with the old Port Adelaide, but he has tried every trick in the book to swell the membership numbers. Most importantly, he has ensured the Power has had amazing on-field success, of which many Melbourne clubs would be envious.

A premiership in 2004, a grand final in 2007, and finals appearances in seven of the 10 years ... It means two things. One, the man can coach. Secondly, he is a valuable commodity in the football world. If the Power, for one reason or another, cannot negotiate another deal for Williams there will be many clubs keen to secure his services … make no mistake about that.

He is a proven performer with an amazing track record. Placed 14th in 2000, Williams made the finals for the next five years. After a disappointing 2006, he did a “Houdini” act in making another grand final in 2007, and although the result was a disaster nevertheless it was still a wonderful achievement.

When clubs are happy with the coach they are invariably resigned long before the current contract elapses.

The Power brokers – CEO Mark Haysman and president Brett Duncanson – have maintained discussions will take place in June or July. This for me is far too late, and doesn’t exactly fill Williams with a great deal of confidence. I repeat – sign him up now for a further two years and stop all the distracting innuendo floating about. He is the best man for the job and I reckon once again he will prove that this season.

I am extremely bullish on the Power in 2009, and I believe a top-four place is more than achievable. The squad is young, fit, quick and versatile, and once again the Power has snared a couple of gems in Hamish Hartlett and Jackson Trengove. Rookie Wade Thompson oozes talent and pace and will add to the attack as will a farstronger Matthew Westhoff and Nathan Krakouer.

In fact, nearly the entire squad has added valuable kilos to its frame under the watchful eye of fitness guru Cam Falloon. Daniel Motlop has added 7kg to his frame while Kane Cornes and Danyle Pearce have put on five or six. That is a massive gain.

Competition for places is going to be fierce, and unlike last year every player will need to earn his spot rather than being handed “gifted” games.

The other huge plus is the favourable draw which is a stark contrast form Port’s draw from hell. Bear in mind, the Power lost so many close games last year … in fact, it lost eight games by 19 points or less.

The planets are aligning beautifully for the Power and massive improvement seems likely. If, after 12 rounds, Port is say 8-4, which is what I am predicting, Williams surely has to be offered a new contract. It’s all well and good for supporters to want change, but you only change if there is someone better available.

My old coach Michael Nunan once said to me, ‘if you are going to trade, make sure you always trade up’. Mark Williams’ record at Port Adelaide demands a new contract, and I have no doubt he eventually will get it. But why wait? DO IT NOW!

Phantom, how do you rate their 3 junior ruckman and other young talls. There is a big gap in age. Like us with Richo and Troy, they would appear to be highly susceptible to a poor season as a result of injuries to Brogan, Lade and Tredrea (and you would have to question their output at their age).

Tigerflag2008 said:
Phantom, how do you rate their 3 junior ruckman and other young talls. There is a big gap in age. Like us with Richo and Troy, they would appear to be highly susceptible to a poor season as a result of injuries to Brogan, Lade and Tredrea (and you would have to question their output at their age).

Time will tell on their 3 junior ruckmen.

Of their other young talls, namely the Westhoffs, they're tall and reasonably mobile. Not sure how good they are below their knees.

Their 3 x 30yos, Lade, Brogan & Tredrea may have injury problems, but they do have 5 x 20-22yo ruck/fwds. They can't ALL break down.

B: Pettigrew Carlile Surjan
HB: C.Cornes Chaplin Krakouer
C: Hartlett Cassisi K.Cornes
HF: Gray J.Westhoff Pearce
F: D.Motlop Tredrea Ebert
Foll: Brogan, Salopek, Boak
Inter: Rodan, Banner, Thomas, Salter
Emerg: Davenport, Logan, P.Stewart