Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

I will keep asking this question- how can a junior mid, 3 years in the system off a full pre -season not be fit enough?
I get the feeling he is cruising. Needs a few weeks living in a housing estate in Estonia or Darwin to see the value of his talent and what actual hard work might bring.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely should be given an opportunity to find his feet or fail.
Dow has been a real mixed bag but we're finding out his strengths & weaknesses.
We need to do the same with Sonz.

Reactions: 4 users
He has all the tools to be a player skill clean hands reads the game well. Just lacks the intensity to win his own ball basically hes timid. But *smile* if he can take even a tiny bit from his mate jake seligo he could be a 200 gamer. Needs to spend 1 session a day working on clearance work and save his career

Must persist with the kid. Let him continue to build his tank and defensive intent in the seniors.
He showed real desire to win his own ball and embraced both contact and the contest tonight. While he would be disappointed with his disposal, he finished with 9 contestant possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles.
He's beginning to set a solid foundation as an AFL midfielder, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can build upon this over his next 20 games.

Reactions: 13 users
Must persist with the kid. Let him continue to build his tank and defensive efforts in the seniors.
He showed real desire to win his own ball and embraced both contact and the contest tonight. While he would be disappointed with his disposal tonight, he finished with 9 contestant possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles.
He's beginning to set a solid foundation as an AFL midfielder, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can build upon this over his next 20 games.
Just hope he's not as soft as he shows.

Thought he was ok tonight. Chased a lot of tail as they all did but tried really hard.
I would play him every game from now on. Just persist, has the tools

Reactions: 5 users
Agree - he's one of the (very) few that looks like he can kick with accuracy and sems to be improving bit by bit.......

Definitely a player who would benefit with Taranto, Hopper and a fit Prestia in the team , hopefully he can become the second link in the chain for the rest of the season , not sure he’ll be as good as we first hoped , however I think he can be a very good player for us , another big preseason and like so many of our cubs needs to add some size

Gathered possessions late, but was far too insipid in the first half at contest, especially tackling including two right in front of me where he baulked the contest. You won’t be elite in AFL if you do that.
I only watch on tellie from the tropical north so there’s a lot I don’t see, particularly the off the ball work. I can’t remember when I originally posted, maybe half time? He must have adjusted his intent at some point, which I’ll take with a young player.

I only watch on tellie from the tropical north so there’s a lot I don’t see, particularly the off the ball work. I can’t remember when I originally posted, maybe half time? He must have adjusted his intent at some point, which I’ll take with a young player.
Television doesn’t show everything and in Q1 he ran to a contest where he could have tackled but just stopped. Bulldogs player brushed him aside and ran away. Left a major impression on me as you can tell.

Thought he was ok tonight. Chased a lot of tail as they all did but tried really hard.
I would play him every game from now on. Just persist, has the tools
Deserves the next 5-6 games as a full time mid. Need to learn if he is up to it.

I suspect he has worked on his hardness with tackle and contested numbers up.

He is really a point of difference in the mid field with his accurate kicking.

No one really notices but when he moves to his left he kicks on his left. When on his rights he kicks on his right. No difference to the action at all.

Possibly the most skilled kick in the team

Reactions: 5 users
Deserves the next 5-6 games as a full time mid. Need to learn if he is up to it.

No one really notices but when he moves to his left he kicks on his left. When on his rights he kicks on his right. No difference to the action at all.

Yep definitely keep playing him - and in the guts where he belongs. Elite skills. Just let him get used to the intensity. He is developing nicely and showing plenty of potential.

Reactions: 2 users
Building with the ball in hand, stoppage work getting better, kicking really.

Defensive running, defensive transition, non existent. Does not put a body on anyone at stoppage.

However, when he has to tackle, has got much better. Needs to play the rest of the year.

Reactions: 2 users

I agree, and we'll see the best of him IMO once we get Hopper and Taranto back who will do the heavy lifting. Sonz has still only played 15 games. If he plays every game, gets him upto 29 games by the end of the year, next year is where I think we would see him breakout.