Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

I think it's the silliest reason ever to get someone to 100 games.
Probably, but with the way our injury list is going at the moment we're not doing any favours to any of the kids by chucking out a fit mature player simply because. Still 14 rounds to go n we need to try n manage the youngsters we've already got playing in the ones with some support. There'll still be plenty more opportunities for other youngsters to get a run of games during the season as it is.
Fridge, Moju n Banks out injured and two of them will be for a fair block of games. Even bringing back Bakes n Grub next week means we'll still have to find another player to fill a hole.

Reactions: 3 users
No doubt , Id just rather get games into others , particularly on the wing and forward
But who ? The options are:
- Matt Coulthard - had injuries and illness and too light
- Steely Green - Not suited for the role and is being groomed for a specific forward role. MRJ's injury may create a role for him.
- Kaleb Smith - Missed all last season and is a HBF and is being taught that role.
- James Trezise - Been injured and was gassed after less than 2 quarters of VFL last week so needs 1 or 2 more weeks before he's considered
- Kane McAuliffe - Inside mid and inside mid only
- Kamdyn - He has similar flexibility but his "issues" are also highlighted by many
- Samson ? Jacob K, Jacob B ?

Based on that there aint a single kid that Marlion is keeping out of the side. Now when Timmeh, Jacob H, Jack R are fit and others slide around then maybe. But there is virtually no other player that fits the role of "Mr Fixit" on our list at the moment. And funnily enough in a coaches briefing before yesterday's game the need for at least 3 players in the team being able to cover other roles was brought up and it was highlighted by said coach that this is a current issue at the club.

Reactions: 8 users
His sons can certainly play and showing plenty of promise, we have come this far might as well crack the ton.
We are playing on an uneven playing field. We don't have the rorts of the Northern academies, Tasmania and what it will do to the draft pool lurks just over the horizon and we aint the eternally parasitic basket case that will never be able to stand on it's own two feet that is Norf.

We are Richmond and no one is going to do us any favours. So let's be as cynical and as unprincipled as the AFL is, that in effect forces us to be as well. Let's manipulate the system and if Pickets kids are any good have first call on them.

If he doesn't get to 100 and they turn out to be great, no-one will be saying 'good on Richmond, they could have got their dad to 100, but they proved they were better than that'. To the extend that anyone else cares, they'll be saying what mugs we were for not doing it.

Our cubs are still getting games, the season is shot, so why not....

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
- Steely Green - Not suited for the role and is being groomed for a specific forward role. MRJ's injury may create a role for him.
- Kaleb Smith - Missed all last season and is a HBF and is being taught that role.
- James Trezise - Been injured and was gassed after less than 2 quarters of VFL last week so needs 1 or 2 more weeks before he's considered
- Kamdyn - He has similar flexibility but his "issues" are also highlighted by many

Based on that there aint a single kid that Marlion is keeping out of the side. Now when Timmeh, Jacob H, Jack R are fit and others slide around then maybe. But there is virtually no other player that fits the role of "Mr Fixit" on our list at the moment. And funnily enough in a coaches briefing before yesterday's game the need for at least 3 players in the team being able to cover other roles was brought up and it was highlighted by said coach that this is a current issue at the club.
If it’s for a wing role HK the first one you mention , Coulthard is a perfect example for me , he possibly be a future 100 gamer , he gets through today I’d imagine he will be in next week , not at the expense of MP , as you’ve mentioned most replacements either have missed too much footy or not having earnt a call up . Just on Greene haven’t seen anything of him yet to say he’ll play more then a handful of games , the next 2 I’d be shocked if there not in the 22 at seasons end for the likes of Pickett, KMac etc as it looks like Hugo and Banks are going to get their chances on the wings and I can’t see either of the old wingers been groomed as future half backs

If it’s for a wing role HK the first one you mention , Coulthard is a perfect example for me , he possibly be a future 100 gamer , he gets through today I’d imagine he will be in next week , not at the expense of MP , as you’ve mentioned most replacements either have missed too much footy or not having earnt a call up . Just on Greene haven’t seen anything of him yet to say he’ll play more then a handful of games , the next 2 I’d be shocked if there not in the 22 at seasons end for the likes of Pickett, KMac etc as it looks like Hugo and Banks are going to get their chances on the wings and I can’t see either of the old wingers been groomed as future half backs
Don't disagree on Trezise. Personally I agree on Coulthard and Smith on what we see from the outside but did get some clarity in the briefing yesterday on both of them so we may need to be a little patient yet. We were told that the club/coaches identify that Matt's Footy IQ is off the charts but he is too light/slight (and us being out muscled yesterday) means he wouldn't have helped much.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that over the season - or just last night?

But I understand your point that in a weakened team he is (arguably) best 22 or 23

My take is that irrespective of all that - Marlion is basically the only player at the Club who is assured of not being dropped or even being "managed" this season
And that's because the Club wants to ensure he gets to 100 games by the end of the season.

And I can't see him playing next year either
I agree. He had a very poor run of games where realistically he could have easily been dropped. Has averaged 10 effective disposals and 4 turnovers a game this year . That's a very high ratio. Last week thought he was poor, 3 turnovers directly cost goals. But thought he was better this week with his disposal and pressure (double acts of previous week) and in light of Banks concussion may find himself on the wing again. 100 games is definitely on the minds of the Tiger hierarchy.

Last night.

I doubt your take.
Fair enough - but it could be interesting at the end of the season to look at who played every game
My prediction is that Marlion will be one (for the reasons mentioned earlier)
But who really knows?

A left -field option might be for Marlion and Dusty to play a half-game every week using the sub system. Dusty plays in bursts and gets to 300 whilst Marlion's superstar kids play for us.
Win /win.

I think it's the silliest reason ever to get someone to 100 games.
Potentially in 15 years it wont be :mhihi

I get the argument and I do agree with it but in this case seeing the side is going so so crap its worth rolling the dice.

If we were contending the story would be different.

It's not Killing us playing him, geez he's got plenty of mates and were nearly out of troops.

No point leaving him 5 short it's not like we are contending in fact it might help us get better draft picks and access to a Smille or Smith or Reid or Lalor or O Sullivan or whomever.

It's not ideal but I dont see the harm tipping the numbers in our Favour if the eventuality occurs in the future that one or more of his sons make it and become quality players.

!@#% Fremantle Marlions Tigerland Royalty with back-to-back flags so any worthy progeny should be Tigers, lets not potentially give these suckers a possible future leg up.

We had 11 players who had played less than 50 games against the Dogs, and we got smashed.
Marlion is still best 22 for mine, and so is Kamdyn.

Reactions: 1 users

I get the argument and I do agree with it but in this case seeing the side is going so so crap its worth rolling the dice.

It's not Killing us playing him, geez he's got plenty of mates and were nearly out of troops.

No point leaving him 5 short it's not like we are contending in fact it might help us get better draft picks and access to a Smille or Smith or Reid or Lalor or O Sullivan or whomever.

It's not ideal but I dont see the harm tipping the numbers in our Favour if the eventuality occurs in the future that one or more of his sons make it and become quality players.

!@#% Fremantle Marlions Tigerland Royalty with back-to-back flags so any worthy progeny should be Tigers, lets not potentially give these suckers a possible future leg up.
It's such a long shot, but you never know they might be Ablett or Daicos or indeed Richo I suppose. Odds are powerfully against it though. Will we have to take Jason and Cameron to get Travis? After Geelong and Collingwood's success I'd be more than happy to scrap the bloody rule.

Its a no brainer.
His next dropped mark or turnover might land us O'Sullivan & his 3 sons.;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
In all seriousness, is there any potential top 10 father son in the wind? And I mean in the next 3 or 4 years ? Say a 15 yr old we have who is displaying elite talent ?