Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Wow. One of the worst decisions u will dver see. Umpires and the AFL are stuffed.

Reactions: 1 users
Bloke lays the perfect tackle on a ball player .They go to ground due to forward motion , ball holder head hits the ground. Free kick to ball holder. Umps please get it right. You are making the game a nightmare.

Reactions: 3 users
The problem with that, sausages, is that you have to have training data to teach the AI. And the AFUL would get their training data by paying Fox for the video. And the video would include the *smile* biased outcomes we are complaining about. So the AI would learn to be biased. It could, as you say, result in the replacement of umpires. Which leads me to the questions... At whom would we shout "Ball", or "Go to Specsavers you green maggot", or "That's *smile* you bald headed flog"?
Would be tough. Crap in crap out. But you could tune it post teaching so every time it picks out a random free against the yellow sash you could trim that learning. Could also have voting after each game/season to tune the model democratically how the population want rules "interpreted".
We'd be yelling "Reboot your visual systems Hal" and "Your mum was a vacuum cleaner". Then again, the decisions will be unbiased and transparent that we may just start fighting each other as there'd be nothing to complain about with the adjudication.

I didn’t watch much of the game last night. Turned it on during the 2nd quarter. Ball was in Melbourne’s forward line and Walsh got the ball, took them on and clearly had prior opportunity. He was tackled and the ball spilled out….play on. That was enough for me
That’s the one I hate. If he was run down from behind then it’s a free, but because he wasn’t and the ball was knocked out in the tackle it isn’t. I hate it, there is virtually no point in tackling now except to get a stoppage.
Although I did watch a video of the last 2 minutes and Petracca was pinged for the same thing…go figure :mad:

I didn’t watch much of the game last night. Turned it on during the 2nd quarter. Ball was in Melbourne’s forward line and Walsh got the ball, took them on and clearly had prior opportunity. He was tackled and the ball spilled out….play on. That was enough for me
That’s the one I hate. If he was run down from behind then it’s a free, but because he wasn’t and the ball was knocked out in the tackle it isn’t. I hate it, there is virtually no point in tackling now except to get a stoppage.
Although I did watch a video of the last 2 minutes and Petracca was pinged for the same thing…go figure :mad:

Thats the one I hate too. I'm ok with prior opportunity etc, but if the ball spills out in the tackle, thats a successful tackle right? Not according to the AFL but isn't that the point of tackling? To get ball control back by causing it to be knocked out of the possession of the opposition.

I don't see an instance where spilled out in the tackle shouldn't be HTB.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats the one I hate too. I'm ok with prior opportunity etc, but if the ball spills out in the tackle, thats a successful tackle right? Not according to the AFL but isn't that the point of tackling? To get ball control back by causing it to be knocked out of the possession of the opposition.

That's paid against us 100% of the time even if the player only had it for a poofteenth of a second. It's the interpretation and inconsistencies that eat my soul.

Reactions: 2 users

The difference with prior opportunity is that, if you have not had prior opportunity you only need to attempt to dispose of the ball legally, if you have had prior opportunity you need to actually dispose of the ball legally.

What really sh!!ts me is that players have half an hour of prior opportunity and then drop the ball and no free. Plus, the adjudication of this is all over the place, you can't tell what they will do from one minute to the nest.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
The difference with prior opportunity is that, if you have not had prior opportunity you only need to attempt to dispose of the ball legally, if you have had prior opportunity you need to actually dispose of the ball legally.

What really sh!!ts me is that players have half an hour of prior opportunity and then drop the ball and no free. Plus, the adjudication of this is all over the place, you can't tell what they will do from one minute to the nest.

DS

But thats where spilled out in the tackle doesn't make sense. Even if they don't have prior opportunity they didn't attempt to dispose of it, so should be a very easy decision and IMO would be a massive improvement and start to reward tackles.

I agree on the dropping the ball too, its kind of linked, as you say, in most cases of dropping the ball, did they attempt to dispose, most of them no, so they should all be HTB as they don't qualify for prior opportunity.

Rohan just took the ball. Ran and did a 360 spin. Tackled and dropped the ball. If this wasn't a clear free not sure what is. Play on.

How can Rohan jump into the head of Ratagelea, not touch the ball and not have unrealistic paid against him. Led directly to a goal for Close.

But that's where spilled out in the tackle doesn't make sense. Even if they don't have prior opportunity they didn't attempt to dispose of it, so should be a very easy decision and IMO would be a massive improvement and start to reward tackles.

I agree on the dropping the ball too, its kind of linked, as you say, in most cases of dropping the ball, did they attempt to dispose, most of them no, so they should all be HTB as they don't qualify for prior opportunity.

Yes, but it isn't as clear cut when they have not had prior opportunity, hard to tell if they attempted to dispose of the ball legally. There is also the situation where a player has no prior and the ball does just spill out. So, this is not so easy to adjudicate. That said, the umpires are well paid and are supposed to be the best Australian Rules adjudicators in the world, so I expect better.

The situation where the player has had prior opportunity and drops the ball is clear cut. It is clear cut in the rules. There is no other way to interpret the rules as written. It is also a lot easier to adjudicate. How they can get this so wrong so often I was going to say is a mystery, but it isn't a mystery. The AFL instruct them to adjudicate it with a bias towards not giving a free kick, and the umps are too incompetent to get it right anyway. So they end up giving a free sometimes, and sometimes they call play on - in short, it is a mess.

I suppose part of my argument, apart from the fact the umps have no idea, is that they should work on the clear cut situation before we attempt to get them up to scratch on something which is actually a bit of a challenge. You know, give them easy tasks they have some small chance of completing successfully - you don't want to set them something which requires actual competence.

DS

Slipped to page 3.
Thought the dye was cast early last night, when Ugle Hagan wasn't pinged for holding the ball.
Overall not terrible 14-17, but it's the one's they don't pay.

"spilled out in the tackle" means a damn good tackle. *smile*' reward it!
Except when the bulldogs tackle you and knock it out. Then it's incorrect disposal.

Too fed up with everything AFL to even get riled at the midget twerps last night. But it was the usual non-rewarding effort - 4 free kicks to half time.....

They had no impact on the result of the game but I counted at least 5 clear throws from the dog in the first 7 minutes of the game ( I was sitting in the top deck of the Olympic Stand) that weren’t penalised. I lost count after that. Also, how many times were they tackled with the ball, allowed to be spun around, then dispose of the ball, legally or otherwise ?