The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

There is no reason not to do the poo check except inconvenience but the return rate is not that high.
Last time I did it I actually was told to get it checked out and did a colonoscopy. Turned out fine but the message was that it is worth while doing, you just never know.
Had that exact same issue a few years back, nothing more enjoyable than drinking a chemical cocktail that is guaranteed to make you *smile* through the eye of a needle over and over again.
Doctor didn't like my self diagnosis after the poop test that I only had a popped 'roid n didn't need a camera shoved up my clacker. Colonoscopy clear n a 'roid removal later n I should have been granted an honorary doctors degree.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Had that exact same issue a few years back, nothing more enjoyable than drinking a chemical cocktail that is guaranteed to make you *smile* through the eye of a needle over and over again.
Doctor didn't like my self diagnosis after the poop test that I only had a popped 'roid n didn't need a camera shoved up my clacker. Colonoscopy clear n a 'roid removal later n I should have been granted an honorary doctors degree.
Sounds like a pain in the arse TM

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Maybe the kits should be going out from 45.
They soon will be. Bowel Cancer Australia has been campaigning the Government for 5 years to reduce the screening age to 45.

"For the first time, population screening (for people at average risk of developing bowel cancer, i.e., without any symptoms) is recommended every two years for people aged 45-74 (previously 50-74), along with a lowering of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) start age from 50 to 45.

People aged 40-44 (previously 45-49) are also able to request screening via their healthcare professional prior to receiving their first NBCSP invitation."

I am one of the lucky ones. Received a positive result from the poo test. Discovered I had colon cancer. Caught it early before it had spread beyond the colon. I am still alive because of the test. Unfortunately, Corey 'Homicide' Williams was not so lucky.

Reactions: 10 users
They soon will be. Bowel Cancer Australia has been campaigning the Government for 5 years to reduce the screening age to 45.

"For the first time, population screening (for people at average risk of developing bowel cancer, i.e., without any symptoms) is recommended every two years for people aged 45-74 (previously 50-74), along with a lowering of the National Bowel Cancer Screening Program (NBCSP) start age from 50 to 45.

People aged 40-44 (previously 45-49) are also able to request screening via their healthcare professional prior to receiving their first NBCSP invitation."

I am one of the lucky ones. Received a positive result from the poo test. Discovered I had colon cancer. Caught it early before it had spread beyond the colon. I am still alive because of the test. Unfortunately, Corey 'Homicide' Williams was not so lucky.
It’s not funded yet of course.

• Sad
Maybe the kits should be going out from 45.
I thought they were.?
I’ve read they were going to drop the age for quite a while.
It’s not funded yet of course.
Typical government *smile*. They can always find money to waste within government departments and to send overseas .
It’s a wonder there hasn’t been more said. How much is the cost?
I might do some research on it. Maybe there needs to be a push at grassroots level. Email or drop a letter in to your local member

You always see; the politicians at events like the pink test announcing donations. Not that I’m against that particular cause, as they do magnificent work. Of which I’ve had a personal experience with.

Typical government *smile*. They can always find money to waste within government departments and to send overseas .
It’s a wonder there hasn’t been more said. How much is the cost?
I might do some research on it. Maybe there needs to be a push at grassroots level. Email or drop a letter in to your local member

You always see; the politicians at events like the pink test announcing donations. Not that I’m against that particular cause, as they do magnificent work. Of which I’ve had a personal experience with.
Not a value judgement in this particular issue but it is not unusual before something like this is funded that the evidence would need to be produced. In this case that dropping the age from 50 to 45 actually has an effect on health outcomes taking into account everything, including the return rate of those sent the pack.
That’s the evidence that was referee to as now available in an earlier post.
These things are slow, sometimes too slow.
Anyway note that this a federal program when writing to your local member.

Not a value judgement in this particular issue but it is not unusual before something like this is funded that the evidence would need to be produced. In this case that dropping the age from 50 to 45 actually has an effect on health outcomes taking into account everything, including the return rate of those sent the pack.
That’s the evidence that was referee to as now available in an earlier post.
These things are slow, sometimes too slow.
Anyway note that this a federal program when writing to your local member.
I’m going to try to find some numbers out..
I’m sure the Cancer Council would have done some sort of study. Im not sure how you work out the uptake and the return rate and then the fiscal worth of the program. One saved life is worth it. Im sure it would be more. But I know the government doesn’t look at things that way.
To be a tad cynical, if there’s votes or good publicity in it for them it stands more of a chance.
Even though now under the Federal Government they send or kits for those age$ 50-74, people could still request a test from their GP. That’s if they think of it.

Until the government has considered possible changes to the NBCSP:
  • we will continue to send bowel screening kits to eligible Australians aged 50 to 74
  • people aged 45 to 49 can speak to their doctor, who can offer screening with a Medicare-funded kit. You can also purchase a private screening kit at pharmacies or online.

Excerpt only
The National Health and Medical Research Council recently approved updates to the Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention, early detection, and management of colorectal cancer. Updates include a recommendation to lower the entry age for population bowel cancer screening from 50 to 45.

I don’t know how long it takes for such a recommendation to go through for any decision to be made. One way or another.

Last edited:
Just a little more on the Bowel Screening Test Kits
In 2023 it cost an estimated $10.8 million . With more than 6 million test kits sent out, the take up/return rate was less than 2.5 million returned for screening. 40.9% a couple of years ago.
Apparently there’s going to be a media promotion on this to make more people aware. It was an older article.

Get2It will run from now until November this year. Preliminary results show that around 37,000 reminders to screen were sent to people during the 2022 campaign, and an additional 89,500 people completed their screening test during the campaign period.

Bowel cancer is Australia’s second biggest cancer killer, yet 90 per cent of cases could be successfully treated if detected early.  

Increasing the screening rate to 60 per cent could save 84,000 Australian lives by 2040.  
So an 20%increase of returned tests could save another approx. 4,500 people per year. That’s a big number.
If it was increased from 45 year olds up to 74 years, that’s approx 1.6million more people at 60% screening return is a fair number.
Compared to the cost of the program, less than $15million its well worth it imo.

It is important when the kit arrives in the mail Australians complete and return it promptly. Health care providers can also now bulk order National Bowel Cancer Screening Program kits and issue them to eligible patients.

I’m going to try to find some numbers out..
I’m sure the Cancer Council would have done some sort of study. Im not sure how you work out the uptake and the return rate and then the fiscal worth of the program. One saved life is worth it. Im sure it would be more. But I know the government doesn’t look at things that way.
To be a tad cynical, if there’s votes or good publicity in it for them it stands more of a chance.
Even though now under the Federal Government they send or kits for those age$ 50-74, people could still request a test from their GP. That’s if they think of it.

Until the government has considered possible changes to the NBCSP:
  • we will continue to send bowel screening kits to eligible Australians aged 50 to 74
  • people aged 45 to 49 can speak to their doctor, who can offer screening with a Medicare-funded kit. You can also purchase a private screening kit at pharmacies or online.

Excerpt only
The National Health and Medical Research Council recently approved updates to the Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention, early detection, and management of colorectal cancer. Updates include a recommendation to lower the entry age for population bowel cancer screening from 50 to 45.

I don’t know how long it takes for such a recommendation to go through for any decision to be made. One way or another.
Yes that it the evidence I am talking about, approved by the NHMRC.
Health economists do calculations on the pure economics of health interventions and outcomes all the time. That doesn’t mean that is how decisions are always made but they form part of the discussion.
The gastroenterology society would also have an interest in this as well as the cancer council.

Yes that it the evidence I am talking about, approved by the NHMRC.
Health economists do calculations on the pure economics of health interventions and outcomes all the time. That doesn’t mean that is how decisions are always made but they form part of the discussion.
The gastroenterology society would also have an interest in this as well as the cancer council.
The figures they give are very stark. With a better return on tests and screenings, the number of lives that be saved.
The emotional toll o families is reduced for what can usually be able to be treated.
The cost of emergency surgery, hospital, nursing costs etc. would be fairly hefty

5350 deaths in Australia last year from colorectal cancer. I wonder what % had tests and screenings returned?
This is nearly double the number of people dying from breast cancer. (3144). Not that I’m belittling either number in any way or putting one ahead of another. The numbers are just a comparison. I think breast cancer testing and checks are promoted more, so I think the awareness is more pronounced.
Bloody cancer. What an insidious disease. One of many I’m afraid.
But at least with more promotion and raising more awareness maybe more lives can be saved.
Anyway, that’s me done on this.

The figures they quote are a little bit skewed. There are many people in a similar situation to me. I & many people I know have regular colonoscopys & other tests due to various health issues. Most of us/them receive the test kits but don't use them because they're already being checked.
Don't get me wrong I think it's absolutely essential that as many people as possible take advantage of it. Bowel cancer is a horrible disease. I'm sure a lot of us on this site have been affected in one way or another.

The figures are much higher than breast because it affects both men and women.
Breast cancer treatment has come a long way & the increased awareness of it has helped enormously. I know from very close family, friends & neighbours the devastation it causes. I know it can affect women of all ages, some in their early 20s through to others in their 80s.

Similarly prostate cancer in men. It can be very sneaky. I'm told that 80% of men die with it, not from, but it's in their body when they die.
The good thing is that early detection can have terrific results.

All men over 40 should do a yearly blood PSA test AND more importantly imo a "digital" examination. Sure it's bloody uncomfortable, but believe me it can save your life.

I'll hop off the soapbox now.

The figures they quote are a little bit skewed. There are many people in a similar situation to me. I & many people I know have regular colonoscopys & other tests due to various health issues. Most of us/them receive the test kits but don't use them because they're already being checked.
Don't get me wrong I think it's absolutely essential that as many people as possible take advantage of it. Bowel cancer is a horrible disease. I'm sure a lot of us on this site have been affected in one way or another.

The figures are much higher than breast because it affects both men and women.
Breast cancer treatment has come a long way & the increased awareness of it has helped enormously. I know from very close family, friends & neighbours the devastation it causes. I know it can affect women of all ages, some in their early 20s through to others in their 80s.

Similarly prostate cancer in men. It can be very sneaky. I'm told that 80% of men die with it, not from, but it's in their body when they die.
The good thing is that early detection can have terrific results.

All men over 40 should do a yearly blood PSA test AND more importantly imo a "digital" examination. Sure it's bloody uncomfortable, but believe me it can save your life.

I'll hop off the soapbox now.
Thanks for that TT. And you’re not on any soapbox mate. It’s an important topic imo.

I’m sure everyone is appreciative of any information we can get. Cancer is a disease that has an impact of just about every family.
I know a few fellow PRE members have their own battles. Im sure others may have a family member going through it well. Or have had or will have.

I’m not sure whether there is a thread going or if there is a need for one. Where posters can discuss their concerns and/or experiences or if a person might just want some advice.
It may give a little comfort and camaraderie if a couple of people could discuss some issues or concerns with “online mates” rather than “real life” mates. A little anonymity may make having a chat a little easier for some.
It may not be everyone’s cup of tea. But if it helps just one person feel a little less lonely it’s worth it. Even if it then goes to a private conversation.
There are some decent, genuinely empathetic human beings on this site. If they seem fit to lend an ear and help someone through a tough time, why not try it?

Announced in tonight's Federal Budget 202425:

From 1 July 2024, Australians aged 45–49 will be able to join already eligible 50–74 year olds and screen for bowel cancer by requesting a free test kit.

Last edited:
  • Love

From 1 July 2024, Australians aged 45–49 will be able to join already eligible 50–74 year olds and screen for bowel cancer by requesting a free test kit.
Jimmy Chalmers is a very good orator. Leaves Albo for dead

Sounds like a pain in the arse TM
My wife has had to do that routine twice. She describes the resultant sensation as unrelenting “nausea of the anus.”

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

I hope it is communicated well, maybe a letter to everyone when they turn 45. The whole idea of the program is that it catches problems early in people who don't know there is any issue.
I am not sure how many 45 year olds will request it?