Premier League 2022/2023/2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Premier League 2022/2023/2024

Overnight I see Oxford Utd reaching the final league 1 playoff. If they gain promotion to the Championship, will seem strange to see their weird, three sided stadium in the upper tiers of the league (I believe when it was built in the early 00s, they ran out of money during construction and thus, it was never finished). I don’t think they have been in either of the top two tiers for 35-40 years.

They won't make it there. They may have managed to hang on against us, but you don't win many playoff finals by sitting back and hoping for the best. Bolton will beat them.

They won't make it there. They may have managed to hang on against us, but you don't win many playoff finals by sitting back and hoping for the best. Bolton will beat them.
Sorry Posh. Totally forgot there was a Peterborough fan here. Not like one comes across Posh fans that often in Australia.

Bit raw for you no doubt. Although not as heart shattering as the way the Posh bottled last year’s playoff semis.

Agree, Bolton should go up. After their period of mismanagement, look to be on the way back now. And is a club with the natural pedigree to be in those upper divisions. Although stranger things have happened.

Thoughts on Wrexham in League one next season? Does their dramatic rise continue as a self fulfilling Hollywood (and streaming revenue) driven juggernaut into the Championship. Or do they just not have the resources to maintain that momentum now they hit league one clubs with wage bills appropriate for that level?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry Posh. Totally forgot there was a Peterborough fan here. Not like one comes across Posh fans that often in Australia.

Bit raw for you no doubt. Although not as heart shattering as the way the Posh bottled last year’s playoff semis.

Agree, Bolton should go up. After their period of mismanagement, look to be on the way back now. And is a club with the natural pedigree to be in those upper divisions. Although stranger things have happened.

Thoughts on Wrexham in League one next season? Does their dramatic rise continue as a self fulfilling Hollywood (and streaming revenue) driven juggernaut into the Championship. Or do they just not have the resources to maintain that momentum now they hit league one clubs with wage bills appropriate for that level?

We've gone from going the whole way and winning promotion in the 1st 3 playoff campaigns we've played in, to the last 3 losing at the semi final stage in each one. We really should have beaten Oxford, they basically tried to park the bus after they scored the goal in the 1st leg, so for pretty much 120 mins they parked the bus and managed to only concede once, which is disappointing for us being a high scoring team.

Wrexham is a tricky one, we've seen big spending teams come down and struggle at League 1 level, but rarely seen them come the other way. I read their wage bill this season was higher than all but 5 sides in League 1, which didn't include my side, the only sides higher were Portsmouth, Derby, Bolton, Oxford and Reading, all but Reading have either been promoted or are in the playoff final.

So I guess it depends, as that shows money does buy success. To be honest and we see this regularly, teams coming from League 2 to League 1 usually go ok, there are obviously some that don't but I suspect they will do quite well next season, they will be bankrolled to do well. The promotion that is usally the much bigger struggle is League 1 to Championship level, the differences in budgets between the top teams and the lower teams is enormous, as at the top you have a bunch of teams still receiving parachute payments from the Premier League (relegated teams get it for 3 years after relegation unless they get re-promoted).

Overnight I see Oxford Utd reaching the final league 1 playoff. If they gain promotion to the Championship, will seem strange to see their weird, three sided stadium in the upper tiers of the league (I believe when it was built in the early 00s, they ran out of money during construction and thus, it was never finished). I don’t think they have been in either of the top two tiers for 35-40 years.
3 stands and a carpark lolz.

Wrexham is an interesting story unfolding there for sure.

Maybe they can rename themselves Hollywood FC.

Hollywood money won't be enough for the BIG LEAGUE but the Hollywood connection should bring more outside money into the club which should see them at least have a much better shot at getting to the Championship than they had previously.

Reaching the Championship and surviving a season or 3 could set the club up financially and have them placed in a much stronger position into the future as long as it isn't wasted.

Think the Hollywood owners are looking for a bit of a fairytale Hollywood story for the big screen!

They might at least make it to the Champo.

Wrexham may well be one of the most watched or looked out for teams going around in the EFLs next season for sure.

We've gone from going the whole way and winning promotion in the 1st 3 playoff campaigns we've played in, to the last 3 losing at the semi final stage in each one. We really should have beaten Oxford, they basically tried to park the bus after they scored the goal in the 1st leg, so for pretty much 120 mins they parked the bus and managed to only concede once, which is disappointing for us being a high scoring team.

Wrexham is a tricky one, we've seen big spending teams come down and struggle at League 1 level, but rarely seen them come the other way. I read their wage bill this season was higher than all but 5 sides in League 1, which didn't include my side, the only sides higher were Portsmouth, Derby, Bolton, Oxford and Reading, all but Reading have either been promoted or are in the playoff final.

So I guess it depends, as that shows money does buy success. To be honest and we see this regularly, teams coming from League 2 to League 1 usually go ok, there are obviously some that don't but I suspect they will do quite well next season, they will be bankrolled to do well. The promotion that is usally the much bigger struggle is League 1 to Championship level, the differences in budgets between the top teams and the lower teams is enormous, as at the top you have a bunch of teams still receiving parachute payments from the Premier League (relegated teams get it for 3 years after relegation unless they get re-promoted).
Yeah, my thoughts too on Wrexham. I don’t expect them to tread water in the lower reaches of league 1. Could be playing Championship football within the next few years. But after that it gets much harder. Much bigger spending disparity.

Not sure if you read my earlier comment. One commentator suggested, such was the disparity in wages between Leicester and the rest of their division. Winning by less than 20pts was a failure. Leeds down to Norwich all had similar scale of wages, but still in the vicinity of 30% less than Leicester. And the top 6 were outspending the lower reaches of the EPL. Leicester considerably so. The ones who bucked the trend were Ipswich. Being just inside the bottom third of spenders in the division. Yet only finished 1pt behind Leicester to earn their automatic promotion.

Yeah, my thoughts too on Wrexham. I don’t expect them to tread water in the lower reaches of league 1. Could be playing Championship football within the next few years. But after that it gets much harder. Much bigger spending disparity.

Not sure if you read my earlier comment. One commentator suggested, such was the disparity in wages between Leicester and the rest of their division. Winning by less than 20pts was a failure. Leeds down to Norwich all had similar scale of wages, but still in the vicinity of 30% less than Leicester. And the top 6 were outspending the lower reaches of the EPL. Leicester considerably so. The ones who bucked the trend were Ipswich. Being just inside the bottom third of spenders in the division. Yet only finished 1pt behind Leicester to earn their automatic promotion.

I hadn't seen the disparity in wages in the Championship but its kind of linked to what I'd mentioned and linked to the parachute payments from the Premier League. Its a significant increase in revenue for those clubs coming down compared to those that haven't been in the Premier League, so when FFP rules are used (and the EFL use them) then its difficult to compete with those yoyo clubs from the Premier League as their revenue is so much greater. You are therefore spot on with Ipswich, what they've done is amazing and incredibly surprising, most teams that come up from league 1 struggle in the lower half of the table, to get a double promotion is insane.

Reactions: 1 users
So it comes down to city away at Spurs. Will Spurs do their north London rivals a favour?

I hadn't seen the disparity in wages in the Championship but its kind of linked to what I'd mentioned and linked to the parachute payments from the Premier League. Its a significant increase in revenue for those clubs coming down compared to those that haven't been in the Premier League, so when FFP rules are used (and the EFL use them) then its difficult to compete with those yoyo clubs from the Premier League as their revenue is so much greater. You are therefore spot on with Ipswich, what they've done is amazing and incredibly surprising, most teams that come up from league 1 struggle in the lower half of the table, to get a double promotion is insane.
I wonder how the two (soon to be three) coming up from the Championship will perform in the EPL next year?

Last year’s three promoted teams looking likely to all be going straight back down. And really were disappointing.

In recent years, newly promoted teams had generally made a far better fist of it. Think of Brentford. Forest have even fought on for a couple of years. Wasn’t that long ago that Villa were promoted from the Championship and Fulham.

Leicester certainly have the resources to compete. As do the likes of Southampton & Leeds. West Brom and Norwich perhaps? Ipswich remains an unknown quantity. Really spent unders this season to achieve what they did.

Read some commentary that suggested the Championship was actually pretty poor last year. So Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Luton looked better than they really were. And like I said earlier. I believe those three are even being outspent on wages by this year’s top six Championship sides.

Last edited: