2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Posh you have probably listed elsewhere, buy what would entice Gold Coast for pick swaps . What type of scenario.

Its a bit tricky as I think it'll come down to what changes the AFL makes, but I think it will have to include future picks.
They want Lombard clearly with their pick and might need a top 5 pick, if there are no changes to the bidding system then even if they trade both of their 1sts to 2025, then they probably still have enough picks to match that bid.

Now whether they can trade for future 1sts or not will depend on the changes and the timing of those changes. In terms of value, They have Picks 8 and 9. I suspect that the bidding war that erupted for their picks last year won't be as strong this time, as there are more available picks so the value probably reduces a bit, but Pick 8 for example is worth 1551 so you'd probably need at least 1850 to make it worthwhile for them (2 picks in the early 20's). Would we be bold enough to trade our 2nd in 2025? I'd hope we would if it got us a top 10 pick. Perhaps our 2025 2nd plus a few 3rds this year. They could then much easier trade 2nds into next year IMO than they might find with 1sts.

Reactions: 1 user
Its a bit tricky as I think it'll come down to what changes the AFL makes, but I think it will have to include future picks.
They want Lombard clearly with their pick and might need a top 5 pick, if there are no changes to the bidding system then even if they trade both of their 1sts to 2025, then they probably still have enough picks to match that bid.

Now whether they can trade for future 1sts or not will depend on the changes and the timing of those changes. In terms of value, They have Picks 8 and 9. I suspect that the bidding war that erupted for their picks last year won't be as strong this time, as there are more available picks so the value probably reduces a bit, but Pick 8 for example is worth 1551 so you'd probably need at least 1850 to make it worthwhile for them (2 picks in the early 20's). Would we be bold enough to trade our 2nd in 2025? I'd hope we would if it got us a top 10 pick. Perhaps our 2025 2nd plus a few 3rds this year. They could then much easier trade 2nds into next year IMO than they might find with 1sts.
If I'm GC I'm looking to trade up this year or for 2 first next year.
Can a trade be done with Wc or Hawks - pick 3 (or 4) for picks 8 and 9.

Or can they trade 8 and 9 separately for 2x future 1st?
Magpies and Dogs I think have father son prospects, Swans and Giants have academy picks. But the AFL may restrict the clubs and require them to hold a first round pick.
So this option is harder but open to mid table clubs. Cats and Port have shown willingness to do trade.
I'm picking GC end up with the Cats and Port future 1st.

Could the Suns accept our future 2nd (plus extras?) I think its their 3rd preferred option.
I think we have more chance to trade with Brisbane or Adelaide

Reactions: 1 users
Lombard will be closer to 10 than 5 is my tip.

Leo can really play, and I think hes better than Jake Rogers (who is franking his form).

but the midget factor causes a 10 place slide, rightly imo.

so agree. He's a top 5 talent, who will go at 15.

another freebie for Gold *smile*

Zai Millane îs a watch from GCA. Darren's nephew. Built and plays like a 190 Nick Blakey.

Late/Rookie.

I don’t watch a heap of juniors these days but I have been a little underwhelmed by some of the top mentioned prospects.
The view in club land is that this year’s Draft runs a little bit deeper than last years but otherwise, similar.

2023 is looking ok with the top 10 then some decent players spread around here and there afterwards eg Rogers 14, Wilson 18, Mitts Morris 31, Simpson 35, McAuliffe 40.

So, if that view of 2024 holds up, then if we can get at least 2 top 10 picks and an early 2nd round all at a minimum, then that bodes well. If we get 3 first rounders, even better obviously.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t watch a heap of juniors these days but I have been a little underwhelmed by some of the top mentioned prospects.
It's a good draft for what we need. Heaps of good mids and mid forwards. Tall forwards, will be thinner.

You can get a Ryley Sanders, a Caleb Windsor, a Colby McKercher, a Darcy Wilson. I reckon we end up with two or three picks in the first round.

If I said to you, we can get three of the four above, we'd take it. But you gotta pick em. The talent will be there.

Reactions: 2 users
Leo can really play, and I think hes better than Jake Rogers (who is franking his form).

Zai Millane îs a watch from GCA. Darren's nephew. Built and plays like a 190 Nick Blakey.

Late/Rookie.

Blakeys 195cm Ezy? :unsure:

If I'm GC I'm looking to trade up this year or for 2 first next year.
Can a trade be done with Wc or Hawks - pick 3 (or 4) for picks 8 and 9.

Or can they trade 8 and 9 separately for 2x future 1st?
Magpies and Dogs I think have father son prospects, Swans and Giants have academy picks. But the AFL may restrict the clubs and require them to hold a first round pick.
So this option is harder but open to mid table clubs. Cats and Port have shown willingness to do trade.
I'm picking GC end up with the Cats and Port future 1st.

Could the Suns accept our future 2nd (plus extras?) I think its their 3rd preferred option.
I think we have more chance to trade with Brisbane or Adelaide

I think their primary option is to do as you say, trade up the 2 picks to get into the top 5 and make sure they are ahead of a Lombard bid. I think they could also look to trade for players. I think for their list to really move forward, they need a few extra 25-26 year olds with around that 100 games experience. They still had 10 players playing at the weekend with under 50 games. They won't be playing finals with that sort of a list profile, or if they do they won't be going deep.

Just on Cats and Ports future 1sts, it might depend on a couple of things. Our future 2nd won't be too much different to their 1sts, so if we were offering them something significant then I think we might have the better offer anyway. GC have shown before when trading that they look at the big picture rather than individual trade values, so I suspect if we can give them some lower points, it gives them an option to trade some additional 2nd rounders into next year where I think they might get better value.

Its too early to say what they might be willing to trade them for, purely because we don't know what the AFL are going to do with the bidding system and which year they will start making the change.

Noah Howes is only six months older than the Whitlocks and looks better in senior SANFL company than they do in the under-18s. Why would we not pick him in the MSD?

Late/Rookie.

Wins a lot of ball Leonardo and Suns like Swans have many talented academy players coming through on the production line. I would love to get a big tall mid and as we know Smillie is firming as top 3